In addition to being grouped into streams, tags are automatically categorized into one of several bases and extended data types that reflect the values they are associated with. These data types determine how tags are read and which widgets they can be displayed. After auto-categorization, the Web Standard User and Web Administrator will still have the ability to change the data type per tag. Below is a list of different data types in the Medium One platform.
- Number: Numeric value, integer or floating-point
- String: Sequence of characters, surrounded by double quotes
- Boolean: a
- Array: unsorted list of any primary Data Types
- Null: null values will be accepted but discarded
Additionally, the Medium One platform supports extended Data Types as follow:
- Geopoint: Submitted as a string following the ISO6709 notation restricted to floating-point values as Latitude, Longitude, Altitude(optional)
"+/-DD.DDDDD +/-DDD.DDDDD +/-DDDDDD.D", for example
"-48.8577 002.295" or "-48.8577 002.295 1"
- ISO8601 Date/Time: A String primary type following the ISO8601 date/time format.
Note: More info about special character limitations for each Data Type can be found here.
Medium One platform additionally distinguishes data behavior as described below. This behavior is only relevant for how the data is visualized on the dashboard widgets and does not affect workflow processing.
- Time Series: Identifies a Data Type as being a value changing over time, used for visualization in time-based charts and for search and filtering in time-based queries. For example, battery charge measurement is measured and analyzed over time.
- Last Value: Identifies a Data Type as being 'static' information, used for group charts or for filtering users within a population. This effectively means "at the present time". For example, zip code or height where effectively only the most current value matters.
Note: Data Type auto-detection automatically sets all types of behavior as time series. For a type to be Last Value, it must be set on the data streams page.